Sunday, September 18, 2011

What happens if 2 people file for divorce in differnt states?

My wife moved away from me about 7 months ago and I don't know here address but I do know she lives in a different state. I want to file for divorce but she says shes going to do it too. I would let her but I want to control the divorce in my state cause I cant travel right now dues to work. What happens if we both file? Thanks in advance.|||my lawyer said that it is better out the door to file first... Because my wife said she filed for about a month and then she talked alot of crap to me. Sooooooo i got a lawyer and told him my situation and he looked it up and there was no petition written up yet.





Soooooooooooo we filed first. You always want to be in control.





Make sure your lawyer is a fighter and not a long drawn out attorney that wants always more money more money...





I was running out of money and the divorce was going nooooo where fast....





He shouldve responded to her couteroffer instead he sat there and waited for **** to happen... Now I cant afford my attorney and my wife has a really nice one.... This does not mean she has the upper hand..





Fight Fight Fight.!!!!





Defend your assests





Offense is a must - this is war......down and dirty...





Like playing POKER - you hold some cards and she holds some cards..





Dont show your hand to her.... Not even if you really want too..





It will bite you is the *** later - LIKE ME....





I wish you luck in your divorce.... Im still going through HELL with mine right now...|||I cannot speak for everyone but I do know that if you are in one state and your spouse in the next, then you would need to file in the state you now reside in. It doesn't matter what state the marriage took place in. Also, if you don't know where your spouse is, do a Missing Spouse Divorce. GL.

Report Abuse


|||Thank you for the advice div2wice. That's awesome! I was wondering how I would do this since my spouse is in AZ and I'm now in GA. I heard that with the Missing Spouse divorce, you would do service by publication. Is that right? If so, how does that work? I'm really interested in hearing more. Thx

Report Abuse


|||Service by Pub. is just another way of serving your spouse if he won't or hasn't given you info on his whereabouts. You would file a Missing Spouse div. Then your clerk of courts will give u info on placing the ad in YOUR local paper. Wait 30 days (depending on the state) then go back for finalizing

Report Abuse


|||I have a question slightly similar to this one. I got married in MD, and now I live in DC. I am separated and waiting for the 12 months separation period to end so MD can grant me the divorce. If I file from DC (which has different divorce laws), would I be able to get divorced sooner even though the wedding took place in MD? |||I think that I agree with some of the other answers. Whoever files first is the one the court will go with. I would start filing my paperwork fast.





I know that http://www.document-do-it-yourself-service.com/ will handle your paperwork and that they do it within two to three business days. I would file now. |||I agree with the first answerer that the first filed petition would invalidate the second filing.|||The petitioner who filed first would control what jurisdiction it is held in.|||Sounds like a race. I believe whoever files first has the valid divorce petition. The other one would just be discontinued.|||ok,I did file this way and it kept our divorce here in GA instead of CT





you may be able to go file on your own and then get an atty.you have to file first.Just do an online search for your states ,ah hell here go to this link





http://www.serve-now.com/resources/legal鈥?/a>


find your state,print up the forms needed,go file them at your courthouse and then hire a process server to serve her.If she is unable to be served the docs you can then possibly run an ad in your newspaper classifieds and then maybe win the entire divorce by default





damn,I wish I had just ran the thing in the classifieds ,then I would already have a judgement against her

No comments:

Post a Comment